Membership is a big deal! Why? Because it is a step that Christ desires for us to take in following Him.
The first invitation of Jesus is for us to simply Be With Him.
But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?” – Genesis 3:9 (NIV)
He appointed twelve that they might be with him… – Mark 3:14 (NIV)
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” – Matthew 11:28 (NIV)
The second invitation of Jesus is for us to Believe or place our trust in Him.
“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me”. – John 14:1 (NIV)
The third invitation of Jesus is for us to Belong to His Church, His followers, His Body.
If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. – Romans 14:8 (NIV)
Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function, so it is with Christ’s body. We are many parts of one body, and we all belong to each other. – Romans 12:4-5 (NIV)
The fourth invitation of Jesus is for us to Become more and more like Him.
And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world, we are like Jesus. – 1 John 4:16-17 (NIV)
So membership is important for you but is also important for the organization and structure of our church. Our membership annually votes on our operating budget for the fiscal year (May-April) and also elects our “elders” that help work with our executive staff throughout the year to help chart the course for the future of Keystone. Having a voice is great. Having a voice and a vote is even better. In order to become a member, you need to attend a Membership Class which occurs twice a year. To find out when our next membership class will take place, please contact our office firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-944-5397.
Once the membership class is completed, we ask that all prospective members fill out our Membership Application Form (see below).
Our membership commitments focus on the essentials of faith and church governance and are as follows:
- Confession of faith in Jesus Christ as evidenced by an inner witness of new birth through the Holy Spirit and a commitment to pursue holiness in all things.
- Christian baptism.
- Instruction in, acceptance of, and a commitment to abide by the Articles of Religion, the Elementary Principles, and the authority of The Wesleyan Church in matters of church government.
- A commitment to live out the mission and vision of The Wesleyan Church through a discipling relationship within the local church.
Annual Membership Reaffirmation:
As a church, we have elected to ask all our members to affirm their membership annually through the online form below by April 20th of each year. We will communicate the need for reaffirmation annually and also provide a paper option for those who do not have access to the online form. You can request the form at Guest Services. If a member chooses not to participate in the annual reaffirmation process, this choice will be considered a voluntary withdrawal from membership. A person who withdrawn may reapply for membership at any time, but this annual reaffirmation is a requirement to remain a member.
Additional Information for Members
Rights of Members:
- The fellowship of the saints and the encouragement, admonition, and spiritual guidance of the ministry.
- The access to the sacraments and ordinances of the Church.
- The right to participate in any vote being taken by the local church conference.
- The eligibility to hold leadership positions, providing the qualifications are met and if not under discipline.
- The right to hearing and appeal if charged with failure to maintain the conditions of membership, with the specific provision that joining another religious body shall of itself sever membership in the Church.
- A member in good standing in any Wesleyan church is entitled to membership privileges in any Wesleyan church to which a transfer of membership may be desired.
Credential Ministers and Elected Leaders:
All members who are seeking to be a credentialed minister within the Wesleyan Church or who are appointed or elected to serve in certain leadership capacities (Treasurer, Secretary, Members-at-Large to the KLT) are asked to observe these Guides And Helps To Holy Living